Spring Water Cleanup Tips and Tricks
Spring showers bring May flowers…and potentially serious water damage to your home. From big rain storms to small hidden leaks, water can find its way into every crack and crevice of a structure resulting in rotting material, dangerous mold growth. Spring is the perfect time to evaluate areas of your home that could be susceptible. The water damage experts at Catons are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week to help isolate and fix the problem. In the meantime, follow these helpful tips to prevent water damage in your home:
- Keep indoor and outdoor storm drains clear from any objects or debris to ensure an open flow for water to drain.
- There is likely a buildup of leaves and organic matter in your gutters and downspouts that has collected over the winter.
- Regularly clear them and ensure all downspouts extend three to six feet away from the property’s foundation.
- Take the time to review a detailed version of your water bill to check for unexpected increases in cost/water usage. This is often the sign of a hidden leak.
- Keep grease and other harmful foods out of sinks and drains. This waste is harmful for your drains and can lead to nasty blockages. That includes Easter egg shells!
- Seal cracks around windows, your basement foundation and bathroom tiling to prevent water from entering the walls and floors of your home.
- Consider installing shelving units in your basement that can keep storage items off of your floors in case flooding occurs.
- Replace any old or broken plumbing items like shower arms/heads, sink p-traps and toilet o-rings if you feel comfortable doing so. One small crack or leak from these areas could send water trickling into your walls or floors leading to extensive damage. Call Catons if you need any assistance making these repairs.
- Landscape around your home’s foundation with some beautiful spring tulips or other vegetation that can help to minimize soil erosion.
If you notice the beginnings of water damage or have experienced a serious leak or flood, call the water cleanup experts at Catons. Our technicians have received Institute of Inspection, Cleaning and Restoration Certification (IICRC) and are available 24/7 with state-of-the art water extraction, drying and moisture testing equipment to handle water and sewer damage cleanup, cleaning and deodorizing, drying of contents and structure and water leak repair. Call or schedule service online.